The Star Wars community has long been speculating about the backstory behind Episode VII, and with Episode VIII coming this December, I may as well start theorizing for myself and reviewing existing theories. I’ve got nearly a year left, so let’s get started.
It’s come to my attention in this video that there is a popular theory asserting that Supreme Leader Snoke is actually Mace Windu. The main points in the video (which I highly recommend watching) are as follows:
- Mace Windu was alive when Darth Sidious ejected him out of the window in Episode III. Since Jedi have been known to survive immense falls, it is conceivable that Mace Windu may have survived.
- Supreme Leader Snoke appears to be extremely disfigured, much in the way Mace Windu would due to the effects of Darth Sidious’ force lightning.
- Mace Windu, as symbolized by his red+blue=purple lightsaber, is a balance between the Dark Side and Light Side of the force. Snoke’s seems driven to find a balance as well, choosing to make another member of the Skywalker bloodline his apprentice.
- Mace Windu wants to get revenge against Anakin Skywalker for betraying him by ending the Skywalker family entirely. In order to do so, Mace Windu became Snoke and uses the Dark Side of the force to enhance his powers.
- Kylo Ren is the only character in the franchise other than Mace Windu to use a certain backslash lightsaber move, indicating the passing down of knowledge from Master to Apprentice.
- Finn is a descendant (likely the grandson) of Mace Windu. A family bond between characters is a key theme in the Star Wars universe.
So I’ll start off by saying: I like this theory. It’s not perfect, and I don’t agree with all of it… but some of the evidence presented is really quite compelling.
For me, I think the part about Mace Windu surviving is perfectly fine. Darth Maul survived a massive fall at the end of Episode I (which is canon due to Maul’s appearance in the animated series Star Wars: The Clone Wars and Star Wars: Rebels). Anakin jumped/dropped what appeared to be a great distance during the chase on Coruscant to begin Episode II. Luke dropped a long way in his duel with Darth Vader in Cloud City. It can be done. Also, Darth Sidious force lightning wouldn’t have killed Mace Windu, either, but it would possibly have disfigured him.
I also find the bit about Mace Windu wanting revenge against Anakin Skywalker to be decent. By taking on Kylo Ren as his apprentice, Snoke/Mace Windu would have one Skywalker readily at hand to dispatch as he pleased, and he could then use Kylo Ren to do his bidding in the meantime. Kylo Ren’s usage of Mace Windu’s backslash lightsaber attack also really only makes sense if Snoke is somehow Mace Windu.
However, I don’t think Finn is in any way related to Mace Windu. Finn doesn’t seem to remember any sort of childhood, only his First Order training. It seems plausible for a powerful force user to be able to erase large swaths of a person’s memory, but I don’t think there’s any canonical precedent for such an ability. It also seems highly unlikely that even a deranged, evil individual like Snoke would risk their descendant and possible force user by making them into a frontline Stormtrooper.
Star Wars has always been a story about continuity and family, so I think the real question on top of this post ought to be, “Does Mace Windu Being Snoke Really Fit into a Star Wars Storyline?” In my opinion, it could. I think there may be better theories around (I’ve not yet decided if I like the equally notorious *Darth Plagueis is Snoke* theory over this), but it’s I could see Mace Windu being Snoke. I highly doubt it, but I could see it. Neither of them has hair, after all.
I’ll give this theory a grade of B+ for entertainment, C- for plausibility.
(All photocredit to CJ Isherwood under the license https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/legalcode )